A Very Fine St Georges Rifles Presentation Sword.
Missed out on this item? Click to view all current Antique Swords & Edged Weapons Free UK delivery on all items.
38” overall, 32” fullered blade deeply etched and finely engraved for its entire length with Victorian rifle regiment crest and bugle horn, Crown VR and trophies of arms, with presentation inscription ‘Presented to Quartermaster William Toogood, as a mark of esteem by a few friends, May 1870, St George’s Rifles’. With makers address ‘W Jones 256 Regents Street London’. German Silver three bar hilt deeply engraved with scrolling acanthus leaves, with silver St George’s Rifles badge, back strap and pommel with deep scroll decoration. Pommel nut unscrews so hilt can be disassembled for cleaning. In its original engraved German Silver scabbard with a steel drag.
A fine quality sword in very good condition, minor small stains to tip of blade.
William Jones & Co 236 Regent Street 1859 – 1888 and then at 7 Golden Square 1889-1898 Gold & Silver Lacemen and Embroiders and Sword Retailers.
Willam Jones succeeded Lambert Brown and Co who traded from 1802 - 1859 who were also Gold & Silver Lacemen.
A rifle corps was formed in the parish of St George Hanover Square in 1860. After a number of name changes it became the 6th Middlesex (St George's) Volunteer Rifle Corps. In 1892 it merged with the Victoria Rifles to become the 1st Middlesex (Victoria and St. George's) Volunteer Rifle Corps.