A Cased 54 Bore Second Model Tranter Revolver. 13” overall, 6 ½” octagonal sighted barrel with engraving at muzzle & breech. Blued steel border engraved solid frame engraved to one side 'No 2852T' & spring to retain/release cylinder pin, the other side with blued rammer engraved 'W Tranters Patent', Y shaped safety spring, 5 shot cylinder with roped band and Birmingham proof marks, blued trigger guard with polished spurred triggers. Finely chequered walnut grips, engraved butt cap. Contained in its original green baize lined mahogany case with original accessories including bullet and cap tins, bullet mould, turn screw, nipple key, oil bottle, loading rod, spare nipples and Dixon bag shaped flask. Circa 1862
A rare low number pistol in near mint condition with nearly all original finish. Case lock replaced (cut in poorly) accessories all good.
William Tranter traded from 13 St. Mary's Row Birmingham from 1849 to 1875, and between 1853 and 1865 was granted six British patents relating to revolvers and their accessories. He was licensed by Deane, Adams & Deane to make complete Adams' self-cocking revolvers and to use patented frame for his own revolvers.