A Very Fine Cased Pair of Percussion Top Hat Pistols.
Missed out on this item? Click to view all current Antique Pistols & Revolvers Free UK delivery on all items
6 ¼” overall, 1 ½” round turn off barrels decorated with a gold band at the muzzle and stamped below with Birmingham proofs. Round box lock actions profusely engraved on both sides with geometric foliate designs, border engraved cocks, sliding safety catches that also lock the mechanism. Finely chequered bag shaped butts with engraved white metal butt caps. In a later flush fitted pistol box with all accessories including, fine small three way flask, barrel key and oil bottle, the lid with trade card of ‘LANG Gun, Rifle & Pistol Manufactory, 22 Cockspur Street London’.
Ex Corry Collection
A very crisp pair in mint condition. The later Lang case.
Top Hat percussion pistols or cap guard pistols where the cap is held in place by a hinged cover, were a short lived development on the way to a percussion hammer with a shroud .
See, THE PRICE GUIDE TO ANTIQUE GUNS & PISTOLS ,page 147 by Peter Hawkins
Joseph Lang Gunmaker opened as Gun & Pistol Repository from Wilson’s Warehouse, Vigo Lane 7 Haymarket 1825-52, Shooting Gallery adjoining from 1827, 22 Cockspur St. Charing Cross 1853-74. Became Joseph Lang & Sons eventually amalgamating with Stephen Grant. Exhibited 4 and 6 barrel revolvers at the Great Exhibition, 1851. Popularised the pinfire breechloader. Died 1869