A Fine Pair of Flintlock Holster Pistols by Griffin and Tow. 13 ½” overall, 8” round flat topped 20 bore barrels with London proofs & ‘IG’ maker’s mark and engraved ‘Griffin and Tow London’. The border engraved rounded lockplates signed ‘Griffin and Tow’. Walnut full stocks with raised carved shells around tangs. Silver domed buttcaps by John King and silver scrolling side plates, silver escutcheon engraved with a seated Griffin crest. Iron furniture, trigger guards with acorn finials, two ramrod pipes. Horn tipped ramrods, one with worm.
Joseph Griffin was turned over to his father in 1741 and was free of the Gunmakers' Company in 1750. He was appointed Gentleman Armourer to His Majesty's Stables-in-Ordinary in 1760 and was elected Master of the Gunmakers' Company in 1761 and 1763. In partnership with his father until 1770 and with John Tow, 1771-82, he died in 1784