A Fine Cased Pair of Flintlock Duelling Pistols by Wogdon & Barton.
Missed out on this item? Click to view all current Antique Pistols & Revolvers Free UK delivery on all items
15 ½” overall, 10” slightly swamped octagonal twist 28 bore barrels signed 'Wogdon & Barton London' in script on the top flats, struck with view mark beneath the breeches, the barrelsmith's mark 'RW', gold lined vents, border engraved case hardened tangs incorporating the back sights & decorated with scrolls & flowers & a band of foliage behind the breeches. Stepped bevelled locks signed ‘Wogdon & Barton’, fitted with bevelled cocks, spoon shaped pans, bolt safety catches. Figured walnut full stocks, flat sided butts, blued iron mounts comprising steel domed engraved butt caps, border engraved trigger guards decorated with a central bouquet & with pineapple finials, a pair of ramrod pipes each with its original horn tipped ramrods, one with a worm. In their original fitted oak green baize line caddy topped case, the lid inset folding carrying handle, complete with original accessories including copper three way flask, bullet mould, loading rod and wad cutter.
Best quality pistols in very good condition, most original finish.
Robert Wogdon was apprenticed to Edward Newton of Grantham, Lincolnshire in 1748. He is recorded as 'Gunmaker, at Mr. Maw's Haberdasher, Cockspur St., Charing Cross' in 1764. He carried on his business in Haymarket from 1774 until his retirement in 1802. From 1795 he was in partnership with John Barton who carried on the business following Wogdon's retirement.
See John O'Sullivan & De Witt Bailey, Robert Wogdon & Barton, John Barton, London Gunmakers 1764-1819, 2019, Pages 183-5