A Very Fine Flintlock Duelling Pistol by Wogdon and Barton. 15” overall, 10” swamped octagonal sighted barrel signed ‘Wogdon & Barton London’ along the top flat and engraved with a line of beadwork at the breech. Foliate engraved tang with a further line of foliage in front of the back sight, stamped underneath ‘RW’ & London proof mark, stepped bolted flat lock engraved ‘Wogdon & Barton’. Flat chamfered swan necked cock, semi waterproof pan of gull wing shape. Walnut figured full stock with swelling butt with fine overall chequering, border engraved steel mounts comprising; trigger guard with pineapple on a leafy plinth finial and decorated with a Union shield in a floral spray on the bow, turned ramrod pipes, set trigger, and original ramrod with iron worm and powder measure reversible tip.
A very fine duelling pistol in original condition.
Fully chequered butts are rare by Wogdon.
See John O'Sullivan & De Witt Bailey, Robert Wogdon & Barton, John Barton, London Gunmakers 1764-1819, 2019, pages 168-9 for near identical Wogdon in the Queens Collection.
Robert Wogdon was apprenticed to Edward Newton of Grantham, Lincolnshire in 1748. He is recorded as 'Gunmaker, at Mr. Maw's Haberdasher, Cockspur St., Charing Cross' in 1764. He carried on his business in Haymarket from 1774 until his retirement in 1802. From 1795 he was in partnership with John Barton who carried on the business following Wogdon's retirement.
See John O'Sullivan & De Witt Bailey, Robert Wogdon & Barton, John Barton, London Gunmakers 1764-1819, 2019,