A Fine Flintlock Duelling Pistol by Robert Wogdon. 14 ½” overall, 9 ½” browned swamped octagonal sighted barrel signed ‘Wogdon London’ along the top flat and engraved with a line of beadwork at the breech, foliate engraved tang with a further line of beadwork in front of the back sight, stamped underneath ‘RW’ & London proof mark, stepped bolted flat lock engraved ‘Wogdon’. Flat chamfered swan necked cock, walnut figured full stock with swelling flat sided butt, border engraved steel mounts comprising butt cap each decorated with a flower head centred on the retaining screw. Trigger guard with acorn finial and decorated with a flower head on the bow, turned ramrod pipes, silver escutcheon on the side flat engraved with owner's monogram 'AD', set trigger, and original horn-tipped ramrod with iron worm.
A fine duelling pistol by one of the best makers, in good condition,
Robert Wogdon was apprenticed to Edward Newton of Grantham, Lincolnshire in 1748. He is recorded as 'Gunmaker, at Mr. Maw's Haberdasher, Cockspur St., Charing Cross' in 1764. He carried on his business in Haymarket from 1774 until his retirement in 1802. From 1795 he was in partnership with John Barton who carried on the business following Wogdon's retirement. See John O'Sullivan & De Witt Bailey, Robert Wogdon & Barton, John Barton, London Gunmakers 1764-1819, 2019,