A Fine Flintlock Duelling Pistol by Durs Egg. 15 ¼” overall, 10” twist octagonal sighted barrel, the breech with gold lined maker's stamp, London proofs below, gold line and gold lined touch hole, border engraved tang decorated with a martial trophy and foliage. Border engraved flat detented lock singed ‘D.Egg’ decorated with foliage and with safety catch also locking the steel, foliate engraved cock, gold lined pan, and roller bearing on a ramp on the blued steel spring. Figured full stock with dark horn fore-end cap and carved in relief with a flower head behind the barrel tang, rounded butt cut with characteristic chequering, border engraved steel mounts and comprising butt cap decorated with foliage and a starburst centred on the retaining screw, trigger guard in the French fashion with foliate finial and decorated with a martial trophy and foliage on the D-shaped bow, turned ramrod pipes, adjustable set trigger, original horn tipped ramrod with iron worm.
A very fine example of Durs Egg’s earlier pre half stocking style duelling pistol with some original finish, the internal parts retaining much of their blued and burnished finish, barrel very well rebrowned.
Durs Egg, son of Leonz Egg of Oberbuchsiten, Switzerland, was born in 1748 (d. 1831) and following a short stay in Paris, came to London and worked for John Twigg in 1772. He was granted denization in 1791 and is recognised as one of the greatest London gunmakers. He was gunmaker to George IV and the Duke of York, and was granted various patents during the course of his long and distinguished career. Examples of his work are preserved in the Royal Collection, at Windsor Castle, and many other public and private collections. For full details see Claude Blair, 'The Egg Family, Part 1 and Part 1 (contd.)', J.A.A.S., Vol. VII (1973), pp. 266-299 and 305-353