A Very Fine Pair of Flintlock Carriage Pistols by Wogdon and Barton.
Missed out on this item? Click to view all current Antique Pistols & Revolvers Free UK delivery on all items
14 ¼” overall, 9” swamped octagonal 24 bore sighted barrels signed ‘Wogdon & Barton London’ along the top flats and engraved with a line of chevrons at the breech. Foliate engraved tang stamped underneath ‘RW’ & London proof mark, stepped bolted flat lock engraved ‘Wogdon & Barton’. Flat chamfered swan necked cocks, semi waterproof pans of gull wing shape. Walnut figured full stock with swelling butt with overall chequering, border engraved steel mounts comprising trigger guard with pineapple on a leafy plinth finial and decorated with a Union shield in a floral spray on the bow, turned ramrod pipes, and original ramrods one with iron worm and powder measure reversible tip.
A very fine pair of carriage pistols in original condition. Fully chequered butts are rare by Wogdon.
See John O'Sullivan & De Witt Bailey, ‘Robert Wogdon & Barton, John Barton, London Gunmakers’ 1764-1819, 2019, pages 237 for near similar Wogdon and Barton
Robert Wogdon was apprenticed to Edward Newton of Grantham, Lincolnshire in 1748. He is recorded as 'Gunmaker, at Mr. Maw's Haberdasher, Cockspur St., Charing Cross' in 1764. He carried on his business in Haymarket from 1774 until his retirement in 1802. From 1795 he was in partnership with John Barton who carried on the business following Wogdon's retirement