A Fine Cased Pair of Double Barrelled Percussion Carriage Pistols by T. Mortimer & Son, Maker to His Majesty, St. James's St., London. 13” overall, 7” side by side 38 bore round barrels engraved ‘Gunmaker to his Majesty’, breeches engraved ‘T. Mortimer & Son 44 Ludgate Hill’ with one gold line, London proofs. Tangs engraved with wheat ears, stepped flat bolted locks engraved with wheat ear border, locks signed on right hand side ‘T. Mortimer & Son’, and ‘44 Ludgate Hill’ on the left, dolphin hammers & engraved drum & nipple conversion from flintlock. Highly figured walnut half stocks, chequered flat butts, border engraved steel trigger guards with spurs each decorated with trophy of arms & pineapple finial, silver fore end caps, engraved silver escutcheons & barrel bolt escutcheons, original brass mounted ramrods both with worms. In their original lined & fitted mahogany case with accessories including cushion shaped powder-flask which retains nearly all its original lacquered finish, steel bullet mould, loading rod & nipple key, with maker’s trade label in the lid. The exterior of the lid with a circular brass escutcheon engraved with a coat of arms, crest & ‘Je n’oubliuerai jamais’.
Pistols & case in very good condition, much original finish, very neatly converted from flint to percussion.
Thomas Mortimer & Son were at 44 Ludgate Hill from 1806 to 1816.
The arms are probably John Harvey, of Mintiaghs, Co. Donegal & 16 Portland Place, London, he inherited a fortune under the Will of Archibald Ross, of St. Petersburg.