A Very Rare Cased Brace of Percussion Pistols by J. Beattie comprising a transitional revolver in 100 bore and a turnover pistol in 54 bore. The revolver 10” overall, 4” blued octagonal sighted barrel signed in full along the top flat & engraved with foliage around the muzzle, fluted case-hardened cylinder numbered from '1' to '6', engraved around the forward edges, with recessed nipples, case hardened rounded action & nipple shield, engraved with foliate scrollwork, foliate engraved bar hammer with Barnett type rear sight, slot & sprung stop holding the hammer at half-cock, foliate scroll engraved butt, trigger guard & ovoidal butt cap with hinged circular butt trap cover, case-hardened rammer of Bentley type with knurled finial & blued retaining clip, finely chequered figured rounded grips. The turnover pistol 6” overall, 2 ¼” case-hardened barrels engraved with foliage around the muzzles, foliate scroll engraved action signed on a scroll on one side, dolphin hammer, engraved safety catch, blued folding trigger. Finely chequered figured rounded butt with foliate scroll engraved ovoidal butt cap, with hinged circular butt trap cover, vacant silver escutcheon, stirrup ramrod. In their original lined & fitted oak case with accessories including two brass mounted powder flasks, one by Dixon & Sons with split-ring for suspension & retaining much of its original finish. The bullet compartments each containing an old handwritten card inscribed respectively 'Bullets for revolver' and 'Bullets for pocket pistol', the interior of the lid with maker's trade label, the exterior with circular vacant brass escutcheon. Circa 1850
In very good condition with a high degree of original finish.
James Beattie Gunmaker & percussion cap manufacturer, 43 Upper Marylebone St., 1832-5; Successor to Collinson Hall, 52 Upper Marylebone St., 1836-46; 223 Regent Street, 1841-6; in partnership with Henry 1847, 205 Regent Street, 1848-63. Became James Beattie & Son, 1864-79, then James Beattie & Co., 1881-94.