A Fine & Rare 1856 Pattern Percussion Rifled Cavalry Carbine.
Missed out on this item? Click to view all current Antique Muskets, Rifles & Sporting Guns Free UK delivery on all items
37" overall, 21" .577 barrel rifled with three broad angular grooves, blade foresight & block & two hinged leaves backsight, the block backsight stamped ‘1’ (for 100 yards), & the two hinged leaves stamped respectively, ‘200’ & ‘300’, plain tang, stamped with a broad arrow, & with Tower military view & proof marks. Rounded double border line engraved hammer with chequered spur & engraving, flat double border line engraved lock marked on the tail ‘VR’ crowned, & in front of the cock ‘1859 Tower’ with a crowned broad arrow. Figured walnut full stock stamped with a roundel ‘Birmingham 1859’, with, in the centre, a crowned broad arrow & ‘WO’ with ‘W.Scott’ on bottom of butt. Regulation brass mounts comprising butt plate, trigger guard & fore end cap, original sling bar & ring, two screw barrel bands & swivel ramrod.
Very good working order and condition, the barrel retaining virtually all of its original blue finish.
It is not clear exactly how many of these carbines were actually made but they were manufactured at Enfield and by the Government’s London and Birmingham contractors. William Scott was a contractor to the Board of Ordnance from 1847 & traded from 14 Whittall Street, Birmingham, from 1855 to 1858, and from 47 Princip Street, Birmingham, from 1859 to 1868 as W.Scott & Son, from 1869 to 1873 as W.Scott & Sons, and from 1874 to 1875 as W.Scott & Son.
See "British Military Longarms 1715-1865” by Dr. De Witt Bailey, page 125 and plate 44, and "The British Soldier's Firearm, 1850-1864 From Smooth-bore to Small-bore” by Dr. C.H. Roads, pages 109-110 and 300, 301 and 303.