A Fine Cased Pair of Percussion Duelling Pistols by Tatham & Egg. 16” overall, 10” 32 bore octagonal barrels with blade fore sights signed in a gold tablet ‘Tatham & Egg’, gold line at breech rear sight on engraved tang, finely made drum & nipple. Case hardened wheat ear border engraved flat detented locks, signed ‘Tatham & Egg’, flat dolphin hammers, safety catches removed and slots filled. Highly figured half stocks each with steel engraved fore end cap and chequered butt with flat bottom and a silver Greek key engraved band and oval steel plate engraved ‘Tatham & Eggs Improvement No. 814’. Blued steel spurred D-shaped trigger guards each decorated with scrolling trophies of the arts on the border engraved bow. Forward of trigger guards oval escutcheon engraved with owners crest of a standing pheasant, silver barrel bolt escutcheons, set triggers, original ebony horn tipped ramrods both with worms.
In its original relined mahogany case with some accessories including brass three way powder flask, capping tool, bullet mould, oil bottle and loading rod, the exterior of the lid with folding handle engraved with owners crest.
Circa 1810, converted circa 1830.
Best quality pistols in good condition, barrels with old refinish, some original finish to trigger guards. Well executed drum and nipple conversion from flintlock. Case relined and slightly warped.
Joseph, son of Johann Jakob Egg (brother of Durs Egg) gunmaker, Huningue, Alsace, born 1775 (baptised as Jean Joseph). Gunmaker, Great Windmill Street, granted English Patent No. 2440 (Bending steel with heat) 1800. Traded as Egg & Walker, Gunmaker & Patent Spring Truss Maker, 59 Firth St., Soho, 1801. In partnership with Henry Tatham, as Tatham & Egg, 1801-14. Gunmaker, 1 Piccadilly (Corner of Piccadilly and Haymarket) 1814-1834; 28 Titchborne Street., 1832-4. Member, St. James Loyal Volunteers, 1808.