A 1796 Heavy Cavalry Dress Sword to the Royal Irish Dragoons. 40” overall, 33” straight double edged blade formed with a short fuller on each face, very well etched over the greater part of its surface with trophies of arms, the crowned Harp of Erin, regimental motto, '4th Or', 'RID', an allegorical figure, 'Osborn and Gunby Warranted' and scrolling foliage on one face, and trophies of music, allegorical figures, further trophies and the crowned Royal Arms on the other. Gilt brass hilt with boatshell guard incorporating a heart shaped aperture on one side, a pair of straight quillons, knuckle guard and ovoid pommel. The grip bound with sheet silver in imitation of silver wire. In its iron scabbard, with red and silver bullion sword knot.
A rare regimental sword with a very fine blade, gilt worn on outside of hilt, some loss of silver to the hilt, lower suspension ring missing.
Osborn & Gunby in partnership 1807-20, in Bordesley, Birmingham and 82 Pall Mall, London.
Sword Cutler to His Majesty & His Royal Highness the Prince Regent' 1807-20.
In 1811 the unit was posted to the Peninsular War (1807-14) as one of the three regiments in the brigade commanded by John Le Marchant. Disease meant that it was soon short of both men and horses. However, it managed to fight at Ciudad Rodrigo (1812) and Badajoz (1812).
Provenance from the David Jeffcoat Collection