A Fine Pair of Flintlock Officers Pistols by Thomas J. Mortimer. 10 ¾” overall, 4 ¼” carbine .650 bore octagonal barrels with bead foresight, top flat engraved in script, ‘T.J. Mortimer 21 St James’s St London’, stirrup ramrods mounted below, underside stamped with London proofs. Platinum line at breach and touch hole. Engraved trophy of arms at the breech, locks engraved with military trophies and signed ‘T.J. Mortimer’, swan neck cocks fitted with sliding safeties, semi water proof pans, rollers on the frizzen springs, trigger guard engraved with trophy of arms and pineapple finials, one piece walnut stocks with chequered flattened bag shaped butts.
In good condition, barrel with original browning.
Thomas Jackson Mortimer was apprenticed to his father, Thomas Elsworth Mortimer, in 1795. He joined his father as T. Mortimer & Son at 44 Ludgate Hill, London between 1807 and 1818. He the traded on his own at 21 St. James's Street, London between 1818 and 1821; 38 St. James's Street between 1822 and 1824; and 34 St. James's Street between 1824 and the year of his death in 1833. Following his death his widow Elizabeth continued to reside at the same address until 1838.
See H. Lee Munson, The Mortimer Gunmakers 1753-1923, pages94 -95 plates136-7 for this pistol.